Saturday, July 18, 2009

What a morning!



Alright, well, slightly gay that I posted a clip from Oklahoma!, but t
his morning was one of the best morning's I've had for a run in a while.  And--a little secret--when I run in the morning and the weather is nice, this song is on constant repeat in my head.  And it's very specifically Hugh Jackman singing it.  I just like the way he says "meada" instead of meadow.  I'm fairly certain that's how Oscar Hammerstein wrote the lyric anyway, but I digress.

It's days like this that remind me of why I love to run.  Unfortunately, I haven't gotten that reminder a whole lot this summer.  But this morning -- 70 degrees, blue skies, a slight breeze -- you can't ask for better conditions.  Not surprisingly, this was the best run I've had in a long time.  I went twelve miles (no breaks. Yay!) at an 8:18 pace.  Clearly, the weather makes all the difference in the world.  I already knew that, but, you know, actually seeing it gives you a little more confidence.  I thought that I had taken several steps backward since the weather turned.  I'm still not quite where I'd like to be, but once fall comes back in twelve years I should be able to get back on track.  

Previous to the last couple of days (Friday morning was also fantastic), it was HOT this week.  My mileage suffered.  Tuesday's track was brutal, brutal, brutal.  We ended up only doing 8x400 because not only was it 102, but there was a 17 mph wind coming out of the south gusting at 25.  It was miserable.  Trying to run at all in wind like that sucks, but trying to run fast?  Please.  It was too much.  Plus I was having some pretty harsh heel pain that day.  It wasn't so bad during the run, but I was kind of afraid I had plantar fasciitis.  It's abated since, but I'm going to keep an eye on it.  Then Wednesday, I tried to go six miles but it was even hotter.  I turned around after I had run out 2.35 so I only totaled 4.7 mi.  That's fine, but I haven't gone out and run for less than 5 miles in ages.  I might has well have stayed home.  I took Thursday off, and Friday  (after the weather had turned) I ran 7 mi in the morning.  Like I said, it was great.  If today's weather was a 10 yesterday was an 8.  I finished up with an 8:28 average pace.

So despite a rough beginning I was able to end the week on a good note.  It would be great if this weather would stick around for a while, but, then, there's still August.  Boo.

No comments:

Post a Comment